One of the most common procedures conducted by cosmetic dentists in Marietta is dental bonding. It is a quick and pain-free tooth restoration treatment that can improve the aesthetics and functions of teeth. A resin is applied to the teeth that need repair, and then this resin is hardened with a special light. Once hardened, the resin will take the color of the teeth that have been fixed.
It’s an easy procedure
Unless there are other issues that need to be addressed (such as tooth decay), the procedure can be performed in a single visit by a cosmetic dentist. Barring any other necessary procedures, the procedure usually goes as follows:
- The cosmetic dentist will perform a cleaning of the teeth.
- The tooth or teeth in question will be isolated using rubber dams.
- An etching solution (such as phosphoric acid) will be applied to the tooth to prepare it for the resin. This will help the resin take hold and attach more permanently.
- The bonding resin will then be applied, then sculpted to fit the natural look of teeth.
- Finally, they will be hardened by exposing them to a special light.
The conditions it can help with
The process does not hurt in any way and will not need anesthesia if there are no other accompanying procedures. It is good for fixing and dealing with a number of conditions, which are enumerated as follows:
- Chipped and cracked teeth. Even just biting down incorrectly on a piece of chicken can cause a chipped or cracked tooth. This can easily be improved and addressed with a simple procedure that takes one visit to the dentist. It is important, however, to note that this can only deal with small to medium chips. Large breakages might require veneers or crowns.
- Discoloration. Any number of things can stain and change the color of your teeth, from coffee, to cherries, to just the passage of time. Tooth whitening procedures can help improve the color of your teeth, but more stubborn stains can be covered up with dental bonding.
- Tooth decay. Teeth that have been eaten away by decay can be repaired with dental bonding. This procedure even has the chance to strengthen the tooth and provide support as it bonds directly to the tooth. It is also often used as an alternative to fillings as the resin can be made to match the color of your teeth.
- Gaps in the teeth. For minor gaps in the teeth, dental bonding can serve as a solution. The wonderful thing about the resin is that it can be shaped and molded to fit the look of teeth. With a skilled cosmetic dentist, nobody will even notice that you had a procedure performed.
- Sensitivity. The enamel of your teeth will wear off with time. This can lead to sensitivity and toothaches once the dentin layer is exposed. Sensitivity is also common in people with receding gums. In such cases, composite resin can be used to protect the dentin and exposed roots.
One of the first things people notice about a person is their smile. The first thing people notice about another person’s smile is all the little imperfections in it. With the expert hand of a great cosmetic dentist, and a simple procedure such as dental bonding, you can move one step closer to the perfect smile of your dreams.
If you’re looking for a cosmetic dentist in Marietta, send us at Kabani Dental a message. We can give you that million-watt smile you’ve always wanted!